Visitor permission

The Visitor Route is for people coming to the UK for a maximum of 6 months.

Check if Visitor immigration permission is appropriate for your course of study.

You must have sufficient funds to pay for your fees and all of your living expenses whilst you are in the UK.

A holder of Visitor immigration permission is not permitted to work in the UK. Visitors can undertake volunteering provided it is for a registered charity and will be for no longer than 30 days in total. Visitors may not undertake voluntary (unpaid) work.

Visa nationals must apply for entry clearance as a Visitor before travelling to the UK.

Non-visa nationals may be eligible to request leave as a Visitor on arrival in the UK or may choose to apply for entry clearance from their home country.

In order to be eligible for Visitor immigration permission, you should not intend to study in the UK for extended periods through frequent or successive periods as a Visitor. If you are worried that the rules about frequent and successive studies in the UK might affect your Visitor application, then contact us with details about your previous visits and visa and we can advise you.

Visitor immigration permission is not suitable for part time study courses of longer than 6 months (exception distance learning)


Law, regulations and policies can change quickly. The information on our website is given in good faith and has been carefully checked but QMUL cannot accept responsibility for any errors or omissions. QMUL is not responsible for the content or reliability of the linked websites which are provided for further information.

Was this article helpful?

0 out of 0 liked this article