I am an international student. Can I work part-time?

Most students entering the UK on a Tier 4 student visa are permitted to work a maximum of 20 hours per week during term- time. Your maximum hours you can work are normally printed on your visa sticker or Biometric Residence Permit (BRP). Please note that if you are studying on a course classed as below degree level, which includes our International Foundation and English Language courses then you are only permitted to work a maximum of 10 hours per week.

You can work full-time during the University vacations that apply to your programme of study. If you are an undergraduate, your vacations will be the standard Christmas, Easter and summer vacations that apply to your programme. If you are studying on a one year taught postgraduate programme, your vacations will usually be just at Christmas and Easter.

If an employer asks you to work more than your weekly allowed hours during term time, explain that you cannot do this as you must comply with the conditions of your immigration permission.

Was this article helpful?

5 out of 6 liked this article